Sunday, September 19, 2010

#7 - Lewis Trondheim


You made more than a hundred comic books. Do you sometimes have a thought, that you are maybe repeating some motives and dialogues from your earlier comic books?

Always. But I do comics to get some fun for myself. And an artist have always the same obsessions all his life. So I go on without looking behind. I don't want to be frozen.


Sometimes you write for other artists. How do you choose, which script you should do by yourself and which one someone else should draw?

It is a question of friendship. And I don't have drawers full of projects. I work on a story when I have to do it.

You write a lot, so I guess, that you have thousand ideas for a second. In that case, why are you drawing scripts by other people?

Because my way of drawing is quite poor. Working with different styles of drawing is exciting and I can write things I'm unable to draw.

Your stories and scripts are absurd, surreal. Even when you are writing about your life (in "Little Nothings") you are showing yourself and other people as animals. You don't like realism? 

No. I prefer masks to show reality. It's much more powerfull.

Cinema has movement and music has sound. And what – for you – distinguish and make comic books a different medium?

It's a quick way of expression, and not too expensive.

Many critics say, that everything in art had already been said and done. If that’s true, what are the new solutions and horizons for comic books?

We are all doing variations. And the differences are in our tone.

Instant photography, like Polaroid, captures the evanescent moment. And what is evanescent for you?

I don't agree about what you said. You only can capture evanescent moment with your brain. Photography is too restrictive.

If you could take only one picture, what would you photograph?

Jesus Christ. And I'll make a lot of money.


You can also find Lewis Trondheim here:
- First Second

No comments:

Post a Comment